Watch Now: The Baby Cries

The Baby Cries Channel

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Baby Cries: 14 pages in 1 Day


The Baby Cries: 14 pages in 1 Day  

by Mario J. Novoa
February 10, 2015


It was one hell of a shoot. Ambitious but not in impossible. Because we shot with a very limited budget and small cast and crew, we needed to squeeze out every word and shot for The Baby Cries script. With the exception of Matt Pascua (Marco), the cast had performed The Baby Cries on stage months prior to filming. Miriam Peniche, Martin Morales and MJ Silva had already found the nuances of their characters, except that they had to perform for camera in a new environment. We had one table read and one rehearsal day so that we could find "home" in a different environment. While we shot in 1 day, there were days of discussions and planning over the phone or in person. The burden lay on the camera department, which was headed by D.P. Dan Cotreau. 


For most productions, you lay out several days of production to get all the logistics down correctly. I truly felt that this endeavor could be created in one day. Everyone doubted that it could be done, but I needed to assure the cast and crew that we could do it. Since I was editing the film, I knew I could fill in the gaps (if any) in pro-production. 



When I reviewed the film after our production day, I found areas of opportunity for creativity. I believe our limitations can lead to highly creative moments. I was able to use sound and various shots to fill in areas that I could not afford to shoot. As I looked at where the film needed touch ups, I made the best I could with what I had. 

I am happy with the final outcome and that I was able to do this production in such a short period of time. Only our audience will feel the film's impact when they view it, and they will be the final judges on whether or not the film was successful. 

When you have limited opportunities, you have to make the best with what you have. If The Baby Cries, embodies anything, it is boldness. 

Creativity should not be bottled up, but explored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment